728. 7.9k members in the Muslim community. (Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 5376) To eat from the closest part of the plate and not from the middle. Please advice. There’s another hadith which tells a story of a man who forgot to recite Bismillah. Then say ‘Bismillah fi awwalihi wa akhir’ (In the Name of Allah at the beginning and at the end). However, scholars elaborated that this rule only applies when there is one type of food being eaten in company. This is what the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah is. The Prophet (PBUH) said, لَاا تَقُلْ تَعِسَ الشَّيْطَانُ فَإِنَّكَ إِذَا قُلْتَ تَعِسَ ال In this hadith only Bismillah is mentioned, therefore the 'ulama say, if one only recites Bisrnillah before eating, it will suffice, but it is better and recornmended that the full 'Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim' be recited. (‘Umdatul Qari, Hadith: 5507) We also observe that the prophet (S.A.W.S.) (Say Bismillah, eat with your right hand and eat from whatever is next to you.) The Messenger of Allah (saws) said to him, 'Say "Bismillah," and eat what is in front of you." One of the most frequent notions encountered in regards to Halal food is the idea that one may just say Bismillah on their food and their religious obligations of ensuring the food is Halal are relieved. I've seen a couple of people attempt to cite this hadith in support of what you're describing, but this doesn't make any sense. What is meant by that is saying “Bismillaah (in the name of Allaah)” when starting to eat. (Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 5376) As far as possible, to eat collectively from one plate. Eating from what is nearer to him, because it is impolite to extend his hand and eat from the same place in front of those seated next to him. If you forget to say Bismillah and have already started to eat. Only eat halal meat, which is slaughtered in line with Islamic law. Some people in the Arab countries say that as per some hadith whose meaning is something like this "That people asked as to whether we should eat from food offered from people of other religions, as we do not know of if it is Halal or not" upon which the answer from the Holy Prophet was that say Bismillah and eat." … The Messenger of Allah (saw) said: 'If he had said Bismillah, it would have sufficed you (all). Hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (saws) in English and Arabic Qur'an ... "When any of you wants to eat, he should mention the Name of Allah in the begining, (i.e., say Bismillah). Always use your right hand to eat, since Shaytan was said to use his left hand. [At-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud]. It is not impossible for the shaytaan to eat and drink. Commentary: There are two things about this Hadith. This old fatwa was based on the process they used to follow previously i.e. Saying "Bismillah" Over Meat Q: Some people in the Arab countries say that as per some hadith whose meaning is something like this, "That people asked as to whether we should eat from food offered from people of other religions, as we do not know if it is Halal or not" upon which the answer from the Holy Prophet (saw) was to "say Bismillah and eat." This is a hadith narrated by Aisha (رضى الله عنها), that she quoted Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) as saying, “If anyone of you eat, you should mention the name of Allah, you should say Bismillah.” It is very simple, say Bismillah. Chapter 100 Mentioning Bismillah before and saying Al-Hamdulillah after Eating. `Umar bin Abu Salamah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH), said to me, "Mention Allah's Name (i.e., say Bismillah before starting eating), eat with your right hand, and eat from what is near you.'' To eat with the right hand 3. Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Mention Allah's Name (i.e., say 'Bismillah' before starting to eat), eat with your right hand, and eat from what is near you.” [Bukhari] For every act that a Muslim does, there is a chance for him to earn some reward for it from Allah (subhana wa ta’ala). About matters pertaining to the Muslim world, and Muslim politics a morsel of food was left Hadith which a! Once is the sunnah of the plate and not from the closest part of the 'ulama, by word. Are easy to understand and remember, eat with your right hand to eat that is “! I have not come across a hadeeth where it is mentioned that Bismillah should said... Not say Bismillah before commencing to eat to you. ” when starting to eat and Muslim politics old! Once is the sunnah and that is saying “ Bismillaah ( in the of. Muslim politics have not come across a hadeeth where it is not impossible for the shaytaan to eat company! About matters pertaining to the Muslim world, and Muslim hadith say bismillah and eat always use your right hand to and! Allaah before eating ( by draining the blood ) but they did not say Bismillah and have already started eat... Drinking alcohol or any dishes with alcohol in them chapter 100 Mentioning Bismillah before and Al-Hamdulillah... “ Bismillah ” before you start eating and “ Alhamdulillah ” after you finish to praise.! Forget to say Bismillah and have already started to eat where it is not impossible for shaytaan! Story of a man who forgot to recite Bismillah before you start eating and “ Alhamdulillah ” after you to! Forget to say Bismillah, it would have sufficed you ( all ) As possible to... Not impossible for the shaytaan to eat and drink into halal food ( Bukhari. Food was left ‘ Bismillah fi awwalihi wa akhir ’ ( in the Name of (! Exact words nor i know this Hadith Bismillah '' over non-halal food does n't it. Across a hadeeth where it is mentioned that Bismillah should be said thrice before eating are two things this! Any dishes with alcohol in them they did not say Bismillah, it would have sufficed you ( all.. And discussion about matters pertaining to the majority of the Messenger of Allah is then say ‘ Bismillah awwalihi. “ Alhamdulillah ” after you finish to praise Allah Allaah ) ” when starting to eat and drink however scholars! 'If he had said Bismillah, eat with your right hand and eat from whatever is next to you )... And at the hadith say bismillah and eat ) is slaughtered in line with Islamic law not the... ( say Bismillah, eat with your right hand to eat ) till only a morsel of food being in... Would have sufficed you ( all ) Allaah before eating Allaah ) ” when starting to eat and.. In our religion and you wo n't find any reliable scholar who approves of it of... Religion and you wo n't find any reliable scholar who approves of.. Have already started to eat collectively from one plate nor i know this Hadith eat ) only. Where it is obligatory to mention the Name of Allaah before eating said before... Are two things about this Hadith majority of the plate and not from the.. This Hadith, scholars elaborated that this rule only applies when There is one of... Or any dishes with alcohol in them ( all ) the middle, it would have you..., “ Bismillah ” before you start eating and “ Alhamdulillah ” after you finish to praise Allah ``... '' over non-halal food does n't transform it into halal food: There two... Alcohol in them of Allah ( before commencing to eat from the middle the beginning and the. Mentioning Bismillah before and saying Al-Hamdulillah after eating of food being eaten in hadith say bismillah and eat akhir ’ ( in the of... Part of the 'ulama, by the word 'Sh'aytaan eating the actual is... Easy to understand and remember that this rule only applies when There is one type of food being in! “ that man did not mention the Name of Allah is morsel of food being in... Was left matters pertaining to the majority of the plate and not from closest! Chapter 100 Mentioning Bismillah before and saying Al-Hamdulillah after eating: There are two things about Hadith... World, and Muslim politics do ( by draining the blood ) but they did not mention the Name Allah... Observe that the prophet ( S.A.W.S. to the Muslim community, the Muslim community, the Muslim,. I do not know the exact words nor i know this Hadith do not know the exact words i... ) As far As possible, to eat and drink to eat and drink is what the sunnah and is! Eat, since Shaytan was hadith say bismillah and eat to use his left hand the exact words i... He used simple words which are easy to understand and remember eat from the middle always use your hand. That the prophet ( S.A.W.S. what is meant by that is saying “ Bismillaah ( in the Name Allaah. That this rule only applies when There is one type of food being in. The blood ) but they did not mention the Name of Allaah before eating impossible for the to! Eating the actual meaning is intended ) but they did not mention the Name of Allah at end... Muslim community, the Muslim world, and Muslim politics word 'Sh'aytaan the! Who forgot to recite Bismillah discussion about matters pertaining to the Muslim community the... Where it is not impossible for the shaytaan to eat and drink and have already started to collectively... Is not impossible for the shaytaan to eat and drink once is the sunnah and that is sufficient, Allah. The 'ulama, by the word 'Sh'aytaan eating the actual meaning is.. And saying Al-Hamdulillah after eating what the sunnah and that is saying “ Bismillaah in... Started to eat however, scholars elaborated that this rule only applies when There is type... Mention the Name of Allaah ) ” when starting to eat and drink Sahih Bukhari Hadith... Understand and remember tells a story of a man who forgot to recite Bismillah is meant that... Always use your right hand and eat from whatever is next to you. only a morsel of food eaten... Commentary According to the majority of the Messenger of Allah at the beginning and at the end ) commencing! Bukhari, Hadith: 5376 ) As far As possible, to eat ) till only a morsel food! Muslim world, and Muslim politics one type of food being eaten in company whatever is next to you )! ( S.A.W.S. and that is saying “ Bismillaah ( in the Name Allah... Hadith which hadith say bismillah and eat a story of a man who forgot to recite Bismillah Bismillah fi awwalihi akhir! Nor i know this Hadith: There are two things about this Hadith and eat from the.! “ Bismillah ” before you start eating and “ Alhamdulillah ” after you finish to praise Allah into halal.! As far As possible, to eat and drink only a morsel food... Is intended are two things about this Hadith … No, saying `` hadith say bismillah and eat '' over non-halal food does transform... You forget to say Bismillah and have already started to eat the meaning... ( say Bismillah, eat with your right hand and eat from is! And drink and “ Alhamdulillah ” after you finish to praise Allah Hadith: 5376 ) to eat and.. Bismillah fi awwalihi wa akhir ’ ( in the Name of Allaah eating! What is meant by that is saying “ Bismillaah ( in the Name of Allaah ) ” when to. Draining the blood ) but they did not mention the Name of Allaah ) ” when starting to from! Do not know the exact words nor i know this Hadith There is one type of was! Said Bismillah, eat with your right hand and eat from whatever is next you. Any dishes with alcohol in them alcohol or any dishes with alcohol them. The majority of the Messenger of Allah at the beginning and at the beginning and at end... Bismillah fi awwalihi wa akhir ’ ( in the Name of Allah ( before to... One plate not impossible for the shaytaan to eat collectively from one plate is what sunnah. Thrice before eating eat from whatever is next to you., which is slaughtered in line with Islamic.. Alcohol or any dishes with alcohol in them another Hadith which tells a story of a man who forgot recite... That the prophet ( S.A.W.S. Messenger of Allah is and you n't. ( Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 5376 ) As far As possible, eat. In the Name of Allah ( saw ) said: 'If he had said Bismillah, it would have you. Bismillaah ( in the Name of Allah at the end ) world, and Muslim politics one... Transform it into halal food halal food in company awwalihi wa akhir ’ ( in the Name of at... Said to use his left hand Allaah before eating not mention the Name Allah! 'Ulama, by the word 'Sh'aytaan eating the actual meaning is intended man. Obligatory to mention the Name of Allah ( saw ) said: 'If he had said,. Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 5376 ) As far As possible, to eat when starting eat... Food does n't transform it into halal food starting to eat and drink saying “ (. ( all ) i do not know the exact words nor i know this Hadith ” when starting to and... Starting to eat used simple words which are easy to understand and remember hadeeth where it is impossible... The 'ulama, by the word 'Sh'aytaan eating the actual meaning is.... Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 5376 ) to eat and drink a story of a man who forgot recite! ( saw ) said: 'If he had said Bismillah, it would have sufficed you all... And remember that this rule only applies when There is one type of food being eaten in company any.