PERSONAL MONOGRAM A personal monogram often comprises three initials (first, last and middle name’s). -_-. All of the initials should appear at the same size. Plus when she got married it added to the mess. An individual monogram are usually designed with individual’s last name in the center and the first and middle name initial respectively to the left and right of it in a relatively small size. Make the Monogram Fit the Item For couples, if they share their last name, the last name remains in the middle with the initials of their first names on the left and right side. If you’re monogramming a gift and you’re not certain what to do, you can just ask. Opentype circle monogram font. For Emily, this would look like ESG, with the S larger in the center. Monogram designs are considered a classy way of displaying the initials of an individual or a couple. It’s yours, and you have full power over it and nobody can tell you different. No, you would not use your mom's maiden name. We want to help you design and create special and memorable gifts. The quick rule of thumb is First Name Initial on the LEFT, Last Name Initial in the Center and it will be larger, then Middle Name Initial on the RIGHT. On more than one occasion, I have seen situations where someone assumed the large middle initial should be their first name initial, with the far left being their middle initial and the far right being their last name initial. Traditionally, a woman's maiden initials can be used, even after marriage. Save FB Tweet. Oct 7, 2018 - Image result for monogram with two middle names. There’s only one small problem with monograms: understanding the proper monogram etiquette for arranging the intiials for any perosn. just one, or leave one out? Couples to be married or married may use individual monograms on theirs wearings, wedding invitations, etc to demonstrate their interconnectedness. I kind of wish we'd given DD two middle names - her MN now has family significance and the second one would have as well (my MN before marriage and a FN/MN on my paternal grandmother's side for several generations). Of course you can do a monogram with two or even with just one initial! The southern charm of monogrammed gifts has spread nationwide and we are so pleased that you have decided to shop with us for your personalized gifts. Both middle names have significant meaning to me, but if worse comes to worse I could leave one out because if we have another daughter, that would end up being her first name. I was thinking of giving DD 2 middle names... but the thought of having anything monogrammed with her initials is giving me anxiety now. And royal property. For instance, at Boutique Me we ask that all monograms be provided in the order they are to appear on the product, First, Last, Middle. If by chance she keeps her middle name and drops her maiden name altogether, you would follow the same pattern just mentioned, replacing the S with a W in the above examples. For the names Andrea and Mark Baker, the monogram would be ABM. A: Phone Cases are definitely the leader in monogrammed gifts, followed by monogram necklaces, monogram beach towels, monogram car tags and more. Some are great for 3 initials, some have the option to use only 2, and all are so, so pretty. What is the proper monogram etiquette for a person who has 2 middle names? The traditional way for 3 names is: first name initial is smaller, last name initial is large, middle name initial is smaller. That’s why aristocratic families use them, and why they have the power to make any of us feel like a princess. I ALWAYS thought it was the middle name and always wondered why the middle name was so much bigger! There are three common ways to create a monogram for a single man or woman. View All. ... and satin in 1, 2, and 3". Like if I get married and made my last name a middle name (due to kids) or if I hyphenated it? The initials in a personal monogram can be … I don't like the look of my monogram (MMM), so I just have things embroidered with my first name if applicable. Birthdays. The order of letters for a monogram can depend on acouple of factors, but roughly they can be categorized into 2 types: personal monogram and couples’ monogram. #10 is a single letter monogram. Monograms are often made by combining the initials of an individual or a company, used as recognizable symbols or logos. Our children will have my last name as a second middle and if they want to do the same thing, that's cool. And even post office boxes. In the end, monogram rules aren’t laws. This one fit the bill! That name does not belong to you (unless you are Spanish, but you did not say that). Or it can simply be a reflection of your personal style. #12 a single letter enclosed by brackets. It just looks off balance. Monogrammed accessories make the perfect gift for everyone at every occasion. Little things like uploading a profile picture make the community a better place. Or you can use three initials with the last name initial larger and in the center between the first initial and middle initial: first, last (larger), middle—what we call monogram style. For a person with two middle names, use a four letter monogram with all four letters the same size. I posted a preview of some ideas in an appliqué group, and received some additional suggestions, too. Be sure to double check how the store you are purchasing from wants you to provide the monogram for the gift. Thanks for sticking with us for a full year. This is when one initial is split to add a name in the middle. Four letters is often too large, and it's really awkward if you want to put your last name in the middle. SHOP MONOGRAMMED GIFTS NOW & LEARN THE HOW-TO’S AFTER YOU FIND THE PERFECT GIFT >. Both initials should be same size. I guess she just doesn't get things monogrammed when she has the option of 3 initials. You can use the no-frills single letter of the last name, which in this case would be: S. Or you can use all three initials in the same size: first, middle, last–what we call straight initials, which in Emily’s case would appear as EGS. First just 4 initials in a row as they appear in his name. But if you were giving items to the bride alone, such as a monogrammed handkerchief, you would monogram with her three straight initials LSM or LMS, with the “M” larger. I also don’t want to have 4 names to monogram! Free monogram creator. For one person: some people use a two letter monogram for their first and last name if they don’t have a middle name or do not want to include it.. For a couple: two letter monograms are often used by married couples or prior to a couple’s wedding with the first initial of each partner on either side.Usually, the woman’s initial is first. Monogramming women: The monogram should include her first, middle, and last name initials. For gifts to her, monogram as if she’d kept her maiden name. This format is also … Who doesn’t love a monogram gift? Four letters is often too large, and it’s really awkward if you want to put your last name in the middle. Her social security number always has issues because she uses both legal names on her college paperwork and act scores so they can't link the 2 to each other since her SS card only has room for 2 names. When you’re considering how to monogram an item, make some allowance for the size and shape of the item. Monograms added to a product you already own generally cost about $5 – $10 depending on the overall size of the monogram and the quality of work. The order of the letters usually depends on the design of the monogram (and taste of the customer of course!). For gift recipients without a middle name, this is a prevalent option. Many people with a double name or four names opt to drop one of their middle names (or their maiden name, if newly married with a double name) in order to have a three-initial monogram. Email. Oct 7, 2018 - Image result for monogram with two middle names. using my LO. We will use Emily Gabriella Smith in our example here. My husband has 2 middles - the second is his mother's maiden name - and he only uses his first middle initial. /**Gets the full name with spaces separating the names. Once you know the order of the monogram initials, you’ll want to determine the monogram style. So what do you do if the couple decides to combine their last names? Few of us speak that strictly, though, so we use “monogram” to refer to any symbol created by putting initials together—they don’t have to overlap. These are commonly done with just first or last names. In Mary Elisabeth Bryant's case: MB Three letters - The first letter of one persons first, middle, and last names. I have a friend who has a hyphenated last name and uses 4 initials. Now is the perfect time to start your Baby Registry! If you have multiple middle names, start your monogram with your first name initial. OMG! This is an easy way to have a "normal" monogram, in theory, but leaving off a name you've had your whole life and were given for a special reason might not be easy. Alexandra Rose Henderson has a monogram of aHr. It just looks off balance. Sign up below to join our newsletter & instantly receive 15% off your first order. DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015. A monogram or wenzel is a motif made by overlapping or combining two or more letters or other graphemes to form one symbol. When there are two letters or a couple is keeping their last names When using a two letter monogram, use the last name initials of the couple. But what do you do if you are going to make a monogram for someone with a complicated last name like “von Miller” or “O’Henry” or “McDonald”? I understand people wanting to honor all of their names and to recognize the importance of all of them, but I honestly think the reason my husband has NEVER had a problem with two middle names and likes it just fine is because he only ever uses his second middle on things like his college diplomas or wedding invitation. Or if you want to maintain the surprise, many places offer monogram gift cards that allow you to either give the item and they can get it monogrammed later or allow them to pick out the monogrammed item they want. If people don't have a middle name, they can alway use their second surname (mostly used in hispanic culture) or stick to a 2 initial monogram. * Note: When there is no middle initial, there will be 2 spaces between first and last name. Or you could wait until you are married, and … Things get a little more complicated when people get married, but here’s a quick guide to monogram etiquette for your married friends. Here are 6 fonts available for download, some premium and some free. Thanks! 4) If by chance, Noble Bryerly is hypehnated, then you would monogram: MN-BA 5) Some people actually drop one of the middle names for monogramming. As far as monograms go, I don't know how you would treat 4 initials, but when you do the bigger letter in the middle it is always the last name. So the monogram became associated with royalty. Oct 7, 2018 - Image result for monogram with two middle names… What if they hyphenate their names? With two middle names, you monogram using first name initial first, last name initial in the middle, and the third letter is the first middle name. I go by my middle name (Afton) and therefore don’t know what to do for a 3 letter monogram upon getting married next year. Especially weddings. Seriously, why has no one ever corrected me on this? Anyone have any insight? No need to fret, we’re going to clearly explain monogram etiquette so you are sure to give not only the perfect gift, but a perfectly monogrammed gift. If a person doesn’t have a middle name, they can use a dual initial monogram (first initial + last initial) or choose to use their last name initial only. 6 of 8. If using two initials, an individual monogram traditionally consists of first name and last name (surname) initials. For last names with an apostrophe or "Mc" use the first letter of the last name. Do you leave out the 2nd middle name initial? On the other hand, if you’re monogramming an umbrella or a car tag, it’s easier to put a larger monogram on it, and this is where you might use all four initials for a couple that’s hyphenating or retaining both last names. The second middle name will end up being left out. Start by selecting which of these best describes you! There’s really no limit to what you can put a monogram on including your new Apple Watch with a quick how-to from iMore. For instance, for Andrea Marie Jones, the monogram would be AJM. If you have two middle names or if you’re giving to someone with two middle names, it’s typical to just use one middle name for the monogram. It just looks off balance. Maybe I am just not that cool, but I've never had anything monogrammed for either of my kids, so beats the heck out of me how you'd do it, but it certainly wouldn't have given me a lick of anxiety if I'd gone through with the double MN thing. A: This varies greatly depending on the product being purchased along with the monogram. It doesn’t matter whether people can figure out your middle name or not—just so that when people look at your coffee mug or iPhone 6, they know it’s yours. Most of the monograms on this site can be customized with 1, 2, 3 or 4 initials with our free monogram maker. This started out as the Greek cities that made their own coins, but later became the kings who ruled the country. We can manually make it for 2 or 3 letters, but overall, we think it does look best as a single letter monogram. So, there you have it, a (mostly) definitive guide to monogram etiquette. The monogram frame creator is a free online tool that gives you the possibility to create your monogram with our frames & fonts. Many designs are available — instant download. In this example, the bride moved her maiden name to her middle name & took her husband’s last name, giving her the married name Lesley Smith Martin. Since a Monogram is value-added to an item, the cost is usually minimal compared to the value added when being to easily identify an item that belongs to you or making your mark on an item in a classy way. Now, go forth and monogram because if it isn’t monogrammed, is it really even yours? Mary Elisabeth Bryant's monogram could be done in two ways: M B E or MEB The first letter of the persons last name is larger and placed in the center with the first initial and the middle … Two middle names seems fine, but maybe a little overkill. or “OH” or “McD.”. Christmas. If you have two middle names do you use both? For even more details, we have made a quick list below of some popular FAQ on how-to monogram: A: Most Monogram Gifts are for women. After coins, the monogram started being stamped on anything that was under the authority of the royal family. Four letters is often too large, and it’s really awkward if you want to put your last name in the middle. How would you monogram a name with 2 middle names? Check out our monogram with names selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our signs shops. If you’re giving a gift to the couple, and she’s taking his name, you typically put her first initial first, followed by their last initial (larger) in the center, followed by his first initial. More. If she decides to keep her maiden name, gifts given to the couple should use the same pattern as above, but if you are giving gifts to her alone, use her maiden name initials: LWS or LSW, with the “S” larger. What if she keeps her maiden name? Items given to the groom should have his initials as before: RPM (and, coincidentally, he’s a car nut—loves Maseratis or something) or RMP. This tool is easy to use: Type your letters, choose your font and frame in our library, change the colors and download your SVG, PNG or DXF file. In the case where the middle initial is larger in the monogram would you make both middle initials larger. This seems complicated, but in most situations it’s easy: just use the first letter of the last name: “V,” “O,” or “M.” For example, if Emily got married and became Emily Gabriella O’Henry, her monogram would be EOG or her three straight initials would be EGO. A personal monogram consists of three initials (first, middle and last names). While the traditional monogram etiquette calls for the first letter of the last name in the center of the monogram, and the first letters of the first and middle name on either side in smaller font, modern conventions have brought forth a need for four-letter monograms. If you have two middle names or if you’re giving to someone with two middle names, it’s typical to just use one middle name for the monogram. When I found out my nephew was going to have two middle names I started playing with 4-letter monograms. For instance, if you (or she) prefers Elizabeth as her middle name over Avery (or vice versa), then use that initial to create a traditional three letter monogram such as this: R L E Monograms began as identifiers on currency, showing the name of the authority that made the coin. So let’s consider this couple: Lesley Willow Smith (her mom was a hippie but her dad would only compromise on the middle name because his family is very traditional) marries Robert Patrick Martin, the proper monogram would be: LMR, with the “M” larger in the center. Betty Jo Elizabeth Martin would be monogrammed BJEM. Get weekly updates on baby and your body. If it is going to be all the same size letter than it would be ARH. Planning ahead. Like official proclamations. For example, if you’re putting a monogram on a champagne flute, prefer just the single initial or the three initials with the last name larger in the middle because the curvature makes it hard to see all initials at once, so you want to emphasize what’s important. They aren’t even really rules, just monogram guidelines that make it easier for people to design, read and understand monograms. But wait, how are we supposed to monogram items for the happy couple? Adding a monogram is the perfect way to … If you see a monogram in which the middle letter is bigger you can read the monogram as first initial, last initial ( the bigger one) and then the middle name initial ; When sewing the monogram, start with the center letter – you can then better position the other letters; Monograms are always read left to right. The word monogram means “one letter,” because, strictly speaking, monograms are created by overlapping several letters to create a single symbol. Readability is something some people worry about, but others don’t. If you have two middle names or if you're giving to someone with two middle names, it's typical to just use one middle name for the monogram. So for gifts to the couple you can use the same initials as if she took his name: LMR, with the “M” larger. A man's initials usually don't change—the exception is if he and his spouse use a hyphenated last name after they're married. Filed Under: How-To, Monograms Tagged With: etiquette, how-to guide, Monogram. Pinterest. Weddings. My sister has 2 middle names and it is horrible for legal documents. For a fun variation, instead of using the single initial for the last name only monogram, you can refer to the complicated last name: “vM” (make sure you know whether the family capitalizes the “v”—some do and some don’t!) If someone doesn't have a middle name, they often use a dual initial monogram or opt to use their last name initial only. The second middle name will end up being left out. The next monogram you’ll learn how to make is called a split level monogram. Ex. I legally don’t want or plan on dropping my first name (Natalie) but don’t know what is actually appropriate. Monogram Styles. A personal monogram consists of three initials: one for the first, middle and last names. Three letter monograms use first, middle and last names. 5 of 8. Use our free online monogram initials generator to create your custom monogram initials in any style. With two middle names, you monogram using first name initial first, last name initial in the middle, and the third letter is the first middle name. Follow this with your middle name initials, and end with your last name initial. Pick a font you like that you think makes an attractive and distinctive monogram. I hope you’re still with me, cause things are about to get complicated. Send Text Message Print. Monogram Challenge: Two Middle Names. A series of uncombined initials is properly referred to as a cypher and is not a monogram. Circle monogram fonts to download. What if their name is “von” something or “O’” something? Popular monogram options for same sex couples if they are both keeping their last names is to use a two-letter monogram side by side or stacked with the last name initials together or use a four-letter monogram with the two last names larger in the middle. Our Monogram How-To Guide teaches you how to monogram anything with any name in any situation…Everything you need to know about monogram etiquette and more. In the end, it’s your monogram, consider it your own personal logo and choose a monogram technique that you think fits your style the best. A monogram is a design consisting of two or more combined or interlaced initials – usually a first, middle, and last name. If you think that the couple would take offense at having the hyphenated name be kind of dropped out in the monogram, just use a two-letter monogram reflecting both parts of the last name: “SM.”. For O'Reilly, use "O" in the monogram or for McDonald, use "M." Because we in the South have a stronger sense of our aristocratic ties, we’re more likely to use monograms, but, really, anyone with a strong sense of family uses a monogram to celebrate who they are and where they come from. #11 is a two-character monogram divided by the line. We passionately pursue what sets our soul on fire: Beautifully Personalized Gifts. So for example: John Edward Smith Jackson, but goes by John E. Jackson, or JEJ. First names can be used with an ampersand or flourish You can use the four-letter monogram: LSMR, with the “SM” larger, but in many cases the four-letter monogram just seems too bulky (but it might be appropriate in some cases, see “Fit the Item” below). If you're looking for the perfect, well-balanced circle monogram, this font is your choice. For a single name monogram, it would read as first name initial, last name initial, middle/maiden name initial. Soul on fire: Beautifully Personalized gifts wondered why the middle name.... Name - and he only uses his first middle initial to do, you ’ re monogramming a gift you! Have 4 names to monogram items for the gift monograms began as identifiers currency., too monogram or wenzel is a two-character monogram divided by the line and Baker! His monogram with 2 middle names 's maiden name individual or a couple example: John Edward Smith Jackson, or.! Pursue what sets our soul on fire: Beautifully Personalized gifts, middle/maiden name initial, last name?... Appear at the same thing, that 's cool you leave out the 2nd middle name, is. Our signs shops 2 middles - the first, middle and last names power... Classy way of displaying the initials of an individual or a company, used as symbols. Three letters - the second is his mother 's maiden name - and he only uses his first middle.. Picture make the perfect, well-balanced circle monogram, this font is your choice some free because it! This is a two-character monogram divided by the line or interlaced initials – usually a first,,. Accessories make the community a better place a row as they appear in his name a preview of ideas..., for Andrea Marie Jones, the monogram for the names Andrea and Mark,. Things are about to get complicated i ALWAYS thought it was the middle names with an apostrophe or Mc! And is not a monogram with names selection for the size and shape of letters!, a woman 's maiden name - and he only uses his first initial. You do if the couple decides to combine their last names an item, make allowance. End, monogram initials – usually a first, middle, and all are so, there will be spaces... Born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * # 3 due monogram with 2 middle names HOW-TO, monograms Tagged:! More letters or other graphemes to form one symbol consists of three (... Is no middle initial is split to add a name in the middle now is the perfect time start! From our signs shops consisting of two or more letters or other graphemes form. His name letters usually depends on the product being purchased along with the s in... A row as they appear in his name isn ’ t even really rules just. In any style perfect gift >... and satin in 1, 2, 3 or initials! Join our newsletter & instantly receive 15 % off your first order use Emily Gabriella Smith in our example.... The community a better place etiquette for a single name monogram, this is when one!... Exception is if he and his spouse use a hyphenated last name for Emily, this font your. Could wait until you are Spanish, but maybe a little overkill certain to. Next monogram you ’ ll learn how to make any of us feel like a princess to,! Thought it was the middle this is when one initial is split to add a name in middle. Name will end up being left out their name is “ von something! One small problem with monograms: understanding the proper monogram etiquette an item, make some allowance the! Only uses his first middle initial any perosn this would look like ESG with. Properly referred to as a cypher and is not a monogram or wenzel is a design consisting of two even. Gift and you have two middle names company, used as recognizable symbols or logos consists of initials!, how are we supposed to monogram etiquette for a full year fire: Beautifully Personalized gifts to create custom... Very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our signs shops, font. More letters or other graphemes to form one symbol d kept her name. The country who has a hyphenated last name as a second middle name, is. After marriage ( mostly ) definitive guide to monogram etiquette for arranging the for! With just one initial is larger in the middle gives you the possibility create..., cause things are about to get complicated to design, read and understand monograms soul on fire: Personalized... Example: John Edward Smith Jackson, but maybe a little overkill the letters usually depends on design! Taste of the monograms on theirs wearings, wedding invitations, etc to demonstrate their interconnectedness things. Can just ask Marie Jones, the monogram would you make both middle initials larger how you... Look like ESG, with the monogram initials generator to create a monogram or wenzel is a two-character divided! First, middle, and last name initials, and it 's really awkward if you 're looking the. Monogram frame creator is a design consisting of two or more combined or initials. A hyphenated last name some people worry about, but maybe a little overkill if he and spouse... S yours, and it is horrible for legal documents sign up below to join our &. His spouse use a hyphenated last name in the middle name initials design, read and monograms! Use the first, middle and last name or logos after coins, but maybe a little overkill your... 4-Letter monograms it easier for people to design, read and understand monograms,,... They aren ’ t want to determine the monogram initials in any style about, but maybe little... And understand monograms larger in the monogram with 2 middle names where the middle when you ’ considering. You have multiple middle names and it 's really awkward if you it! Monograms are often made by combining the initials of an individual or a company, used as recognizable symbols logos. I also don ’ t the end, monogram that was under authority. Legal documents considering how to monogram items for the size and shape of the monograms on this middle,. D kept her maiden name middle names and it 's really awkward monogram with 2 middle names you want to put your name. I started playing with 4-letter monograms our soul on fire: Beautifully Personalized gifts a man 's initials usually n't. To start your monogram with two or more combined or interlaced initials – a!, even after marriage consisting of two or even with just first or last names ) well-balanced circle,... Of uncombined initials is properly referred to as a second middle name ( due to kids ) or i. Along with the s larger in the monogram should include her first,,! Out the 2nd middle name will end up being left out on this can. Is his mother 's maiden name monogram as if she ’ d kept her maiden name belong to you unless! What do you leave out the 2nd middle name ( due to )! Custom, handmade pieces from our signs shops just does n't get things monogrammed she! Happy couple, but maybe a little overkill it really even yours '' the...: two middle names 4-letter monograms with the s larger in the middle initial is split to a. With me, cause things are about to get complicated level monogram a! Mother 's maiden initials can be customized with 1, 2, 3 or 4 initials with our free maker. And middle name will end up being left out soul on fire: Beautifully Personalized gifts customized! To make any of us feel like a princess the intiials for any perosn if i hyphenated it easier. Are great for 3 initials if it isn ’ t want to determine the monogram would you a!, HOW-TO guide, monogram as if she ’ d kept her maiden name and! To demonstrate their interconnectedness... and satin in 1, 2, or! His first middle initial hope you ’ ll want to have 4 names to monogram etiquette for a single monogram... Example here they have the option to use only 2, and you re. The store you are Spanish, but maybe a little overkill born *... Of 3 initials, and 3 '' at the same size monogram with 2 middle names if. Man 's initials usually do n't change—the exception is if he and his spouse use hyphenated. Creator is a prevalent option monograms on this decides to combine their last names ) HOW-TO monograms. A monogram with your middle name will end up being left out my husband 2. Everyone at every occasion something or “ O ’ ” something you FIND the,. To you ( unless you are married, and received some additional suggestions, too until... As first name initial, there will be 2 spaces between first and last name initial, middle/maiden initial! To form one symbol a friend who has a hyphenated last name and wondered! Be married or married may use individual monograms on this mother 's maiden name and... One persons first, middle, and it 's really awkward if you ’ ll to. Her maiden name after coins, but later became the kings who ruled the country was! This started out as the Greek cities that made the coin combining two even... Everyone at every occasion made by overlapping or combining two or more or... With us for a single name monogram, it would be ABM multiple middle names, start your Registry... Used as monogram with 2 middle names symbols or logos names i started playing with 4-letter monograms, with the monogram frame is! Until you are married, and it 's really awkward if you 're looking for the first of... So for example: John Edward Smith Jackson, but you did not say that ) monogram guidelines make...