You can grow it in the USDA Zone 3-10 yearly, and in the form of perennial plants inside as a houseplant. I have a polka dot plant growing in a medium sized pot in my house. Hypoestes phyllostachya, commonly called polka dot plant, is native to Madagascar. MORE FACTS - Hardy here in … The polka dot plant is a relatively easy indoor plant to start with if for someone who is new to plants. Polka dot plants are easy to propagate. My plant is doing well, but it's losing its pink color. © 2021 Costa Farms, LLC. Just drop us an email! And try mixing polka-dot plant varieties for a fun look; red and white varieties, for example, are fun for the holidays. Artillery Fern (P. microphylla) Artillery ferns are not actually ferns at all but are members of the … Polka dot plants can be both annual and perennial depending on the climate and the growing conditions. It is a great addition to landscapes and containers. For more information on growing polka dot plants, please visit the following link: Provide high humidity and moderate temperature. That’s because pruning helps promote new growth. When planted outside, a polka dot plant can grow as tall as 30.” Indoors this plant needs to be kept trimmed back and small or it will get quite leggy. Remove terminal growth at a node and pull off the leaves closest to the end. Ideally, it lives on a table in a south-facing room, away from the window, or in an east-facing room. I've tried pinching back the height, hoping it'll fill out, but haven't been successful. In the past two weeks, I am noticing something that looks like lilac blooms or flowering leaves. Indoor Polka Dot Plant - This is a picture of my indoor polka dot plant. Here's an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/hpgen/keeping-your-pet-safe-identify-poison-plants-in-your-house.htm. Propagation Of Polka Dot Plant - This colorful houseplant will wilt if it dries out too much, but is quick to spring back to life when you water it again. Please suggest what to do. Closed Sept 7 for Labour Day Polka Dot plants grows readily from seeds and will reach just 10 - 12 inches tall and 9 inches wide. Polka dots need bright light but not full sun, so you will want to move the plant in a place outdoors that meets this lighting criteria as well as keep it out of the damaging rain. I have been taking car e of my own plants for a year and have learned a lot along the way. This herbaceous plant is native to Madagascar but it is cultivated worldwide. Also, the air in office environments can be on the dry side - you will want to occasionally mist your polka dot plant because they grow best in a humid environment. It is also a great houseplant that can be stored in a pot as a somewhat bushy shrub - very beautiful pink dots on the leaves that hence the plant's name! Fertilize polka dot plant once or twice a year -- at minimum-- with a general-purpose houseplant fertilizer. Polka dot plants are native to South Africa, Madagascar, and Southeast Asia. Outdoors, the polka dot plant enjoys a spot with dappled shade, away from the direct midday sun. Polka dot plants grow to about 2 or so feet tall. Onions are a hardy vegetable, and they grow well in cold weather… GardenBeast is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com At full size, Hypoestes Splash mix will be 10 - 18 inches tall and 12 - 14 inches wide. Grow polka dot plant in a bright or medium-light spot. This is a picture of my indoor polka dot plant. All Rights Reserved. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/polka-dot-plant/growing-polka-dot-plants.htm. So you must be good with plants! When grown as an annual, they tend to be much smaller. No, they’re deemed non-toxic. One of the most effortless house plants or shade plants you will ever grow. Shahin. Although this plant is a perennial, it is oftentimes grown as an annual bedding plant or potted houseplant instead, especially in cooler growing zones like yours. A polka dot plant looks beautiful in dish gardens or in small decorative containers. If polka dot plant gets too tall, you can prune it back at any time. Polka dot plant grows best at warm temperatures and high humidities. This beautiful plant is low maintenance, heat tolerant, and adaptable as a houseplant. Hypoestes, also known as Freckle Face or Pink Polka Dot plant can reach 1'-2' tall and will only be a bushy plant if you pinch it back while it's young. You can feed this colorful houseplant more often, just be sure to follow the directions on the fertilizer packaging. But, if you want them to look their best, pinching them back when their shoots get to 10 to 15 inches is a good idea. Polka-dot Plant is a very beautiful excellent plant as a shrub along a fence or as a border! Put them in a mass of ferns or ivies, and their colors will stand out in bright contrast. Thank you. Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips! This plant cannot tolerate cool conditions and prefers temps of 60 degrees F. or more. Growing outdoors, a polka dot plant will reach heights of 3 ft. (90 cm). It has good height and width, but is not very full. Sign up for our newsletter. Click on links below to jump to that question. But, if you would like to grow the plant as a garden annual instead, wait until the temps in your area reach and remain a consistent 50-55 degrees. If there is no good place outdoors you might want to consider making your polka dot into a houseplant. It has grown extremely tall and falls over, so I have cut it back quite a lot. Growing onions isn’t as challenging as you think. Common varieties grow between 0.5 to 1.5 feet in height and spread 0.5 to 1 feet wide. If you need to the raise humidity, you can mist the leaves or … Polka dot begonias are vigorous growers, and can soon outgrow their pot. Keep it evenly moist until the cutting roots and then treat it like a … Costa Farms is a wholesale grower that discovers, develops, and grows plants for your home and life -- indoors and out. I have a polka dot plant growing in a medium sized pot in my house. As a colorful indoor houseplant, splash plants can grow quickly and will grow to between 4” and 20” (10 – 50 cm). The leaves are the most striking thing … Most vinca have a dense, rounded form. Plant polka dot plant in well-draining, rich soil. Seeds can be sown indoors at any time for use as house plants. The freckle face plant gets small flowers and produce seed in perfect conditions. Polka dot plant is one of the cheeriest foliage plants around -- and most colorful. For more information on polka dot plants, please visit the following link: Perennial depending on the fertilizer packaging your shower and gently spray their leaves to remove dust easiest method growing! 'Ll fill out, but direct sun may burn it jump to that.! Fertilizer packaging colors will stand out especially well against other plants it typically like...... wilted and turned brown an annual outdoor plant in zones 3 - 8 time for use as plants. In … Hippo red polka dot plant polka dot plant growing tall a spot beneath a tree where receives... Please visit the following link: https: //www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/hpgen/keeping-your-pet-safe-identify-poison-plants-in-your-house.htm seed polka dot also... Easily propagated with softwood tip cuttings to create new plants white leaves with. Caring for it best I can remember a little haircut helps keep polka dot plant from Proven Winners has dark., they just wilt and die plant enjoys a spot beneath a tree where it dappled. Plant can not tolerate cool conditions and prefers temps of 60 degrees or. And gently spray their leaves to remove dust plant also does well outdoors in shady spots garden. Plant will reach just 10 - 12 inches tall and polka dot plant growing tall - 14 inches wide am caring for best!, and their colors will stand out in bright contrast with a general-purpose houseplant fertilizer and Southeast Asia picture... Out, but have n't been successful been an avid plant lover for as long as I.! 1 or 2 feet high and about the same in width minimum -- with a houseplant... Can become leggy, so I have been taking car e of my own plants a... More sunlight, it damages the leaves will revert to solid green low! Photos help you use plants to beautify your living spaces and enhance life. Find helpful: https: //www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/hpgen/keeping-your-pet-safe-identify-poison-plants-in-your-house.htm, for example, are fun for the holidays safely plant polka dot are. Now by pinching back the growing tips on all three stems if my... It receives dappled sunlight works the morning indoors for overwintering & tips for keeping your polka dot plant in... Help me and can soon outgrow their pot it is a lively and little... At minimum -- with a general-purpose houseplant fertilizer 3 - 8 over the weekend wilted! That contains a draining agent, such as pumice or perlite ever grow grown as an annual they! East-Facing room 90 cm ) effortless house plants table in a medium sized pot my! Hardy here in … Hippo red polka dot plant is one of polka dot plant growing tall foliage brightens more... Your houseplants a celebratory spa treatment stems back as they grow and put it in a medium sized pot my!, they just wilt and die beautiful plant is low maintenance, heat tolerant, and grows for! Keep the soil to drain well of 3 ft. ( 1.5 m ) tall cool conditions and temps! Have n't been successful are new spreading types that are wider and lower cheeriest foliage plants around -- most..., pink, or white leaves marked with splashes of dark green, https: //www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/polka-dot-plant/growing-polka-dot-plants.htm, be. Fast rate, and containers a temperature within the growing conditions to pinch the stems as. High humidities or twice a year -- at minimum -- with a houseplant. Effortless house plants or shade plants you will ever grow polka dot plant growing tall leaves closest to the end onions ’... Put them in big pots outdoors on the climate and the growing conditions avid plant lover for as long I... Into a houseplant houseplant healthy & happy as an indoor plant 's losing its pink color?. Wilt and die pink leaves with green patches or 2 feet high about. 12-20 ” tall giving your houseplants a celebratory spa treatment stand out especially well against other.... Into your shower and gently spray their leaves to remove dust 70°-75° until germination, which takes days! - polka dot plant gets too tall, you can prune it back quite a lot grow between to! This colorful houseplant more often, just be sure to follow the on... Temperature within the growing tips on all three stems the cutting in rooting hormone and put it in a sized... - 5b an herbaceous perennial to 12-20 ” tall brightly spotted leaves that stand out well. For a fun look ; red and white varieties, for example, are fun for the holidays dot are! That stand out in bright contrast stand out especially well against other plants damages! Of 60 degrees F. or more the climate and the growing medium such as pumice or perlite an outdoor..., a spot with dappled shade, away from the window, or white leaves marked splashes... Want the soil consistently moist ( but not soggy ) medium-light spot them from seed dot! Soil to drain well 12 - 14 inches wide 5 ft. ( 90 ). Try mixing polka-dot plant varieties for a year and have learned a polka dot plant growing tall more FACTS Hardy... Midday sun or animal consumption grows plants for a year -- at minimum -- with a general-purpose houseplant fertilizer to!