The story of increasing the number of the swamp deer in Kahna National Park is easily India’s one of the best conservation success project that you will hear of. From a population of around 3,000 in 1938, their population dwindled to a near-extinction level of just 66 in 1970. Three subspecies of southern swamp deer are found in the Indian subcontinent. Maybe the deer knew it and hence did not find the jackals as a threat. Today it stretches over an area of 940 km2 in the two districts Mandla and Balaghat. The Barasingha hard-ground swamp deer (Branderi Barasingha) is the state animal of Madhya Pradesh in Central India. But the last minute booking and the shortage of seats made me book all the safari tickets around Khatia gate and one in Mukki gate. From there you can hire a cab. Similar Photos See All. The last day morning was again through the Khatia gate. “There is a persistent fear that this species of deer is unable to get into dense jungle due to the complex 12 tines of its antlers. We were on elephant safari. A sight to behold! So I settle down in the jeep, looking up at clouds, listening to warning calls, drawing pug marks in my hand, counting the crocodile trees passing by, watching out for colorful birds and trying to get my hands on mahua fruits. Kanha National Park is the largest national park of Madhya Pradesh & a feast for the eyes for wildlife enthusiasts. Two years back there was a direct bus to Kanha leaving at 7 am and I thought that’s how it is, but I couldn’t find it when I went to Jabalpur bus stand and was told the direct bus is only at 9 am. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Juggling work, travel and food. Fresh pugmarks were all over the place at different sites. Kanha safari tickets sell off like hot cakes and need to be booked well in advance. Those were also the days when trophy hunting was a thing and poaching was around. Kanha National Park was created on 1 June 1955 and was designated a tiger reserve in 1973. The species now numbers 800, after five decades of persistent conservation work. The grasslands are the lifeline of Hard Ground Swamp Deer in Kanha. Flights flying to Jabalpur usually have a costly airfare, so you can fly to Nagpur airport instead. The barasinghas at Kanha National Park are unique, being the hard ground variety, which populate the large open tracts of grass amidst the forests of teak and bamboo. Females are called does and fawns. L Krishnamurthy, field director of Kanha National Park and Tiger Reserve, says, “We have introduced 46 swamp deer since 2016 in two parts of the tiger reserve and it has responded well,” Krishnamurthy said. Kanha National Park known as the land of the tiger is home to many animals besides the big cats. Barasingha literally translates to “the twelve tined one.” That is because their antlers are spectacular to watch. And those big wide eyes when they looked at me. Males are called bucks and stags. However, if one animal species were to represent Kanha, it would probably be the barasingha (twelve horned Deer), or the swamp deer. This batch included 2 males, 7 females and 2 foes. It is also highly inbred,” Krishnamurthy said. Even otherwise the landscape of Kanha is so beautiful that I was looking forward to it. Day 02: Kanha National Park Morning and evening jeep safaris in the Kanha Tiger Reserve. Kanha National Park is famous for its vividness in nature. It reached a landmark achievement by preserving the highly endangered barasingha. There were pug marks everywhere. Their shiny coat blended so well with the grassland, as though the grass was having tree branches attached to it. These are the available options. “The numbers increased to 80 in January 2020". Dhole (Cuon alpinus) 4. We're within a kilometre of the Mukki Gate when my guide, Raj, points out a barasingha family standing beside a water hole, the sun striking the swamp deers' golden backs. Central India’s largest national park, the Kanha National Park is home to The Royal Bengal Tiger, Leopards, sloth bears and the Barasingha. Kanha National Park is a combination of dry deciduous and moist deciduous forest dominated by old and towering Sal trees and its famous meadows where the critically endangered Hard Ground Swamp Deer or “Barasingha” has its last stronghold. Download this stock image: Swamp deer or Barasingha, Cervus duvauceli, in water feeding, female, Kanha Tiger Reserve, National Park, Madhya Pradesh, India - X7R3RP from Alamy's library of millions of high resolution stock photos, illustrations and vectors. Located in Madhya Pradesh, the KNP came into existence in 1955 and was later converted into the Kanha Tiger Reserve in 1973.. Topography – The Kanha National Park that covers an area of 940 sq km along with its buffer zone that is spread out on … All rights reserved. Also if you are a solo traveler, you can book a single seat in the jeep for you and will be shared with other random travelers. But the deer did not seem to consider the jackals as a threat and they continued to graze peacefully. Located in the Mandla district of Madhya Pradesh, Kanha national park cum Tiger reserve extends over an area of over 1,940-sq-kms. We stood there for a while watching the barasingha until they got tired of seeing us and they decided to move away. Of both, I was able to see tiger only in Pench National Park and the whole world was so sure of sighting tiger at Kanha National Park. And even now it was roaming in solitary next to spotted deer. The grassland ecosystems are extensive at places like Kanha and Sonf. Kanha Tiger Reserve has a significant population of Bengal tiger,Indian wild dog and barasingha deer in India. The scenic Kanha National Park is known as one of the inspirations of famous writer Rudyard Kipling for his classic creation, “The Jungle Book” Moreover, Kanha Tiger Reserve is the first Tiger reserve in India to conserve many rare species like "Barasingha" – one of the symbolic variants of hardground swamp deer. The animal lovers visiting the Kanha National Park also indulge in discussions with the resident naturalists of the resort. Kanha National Park was created on 1 June 1955 and in 1973 was made the Kanha Tiger Reserve. Pilibhit Tiger Reserve, Uttar Pradesh. What if the barasingha becomes extinct! There are numerous Tiger reserves in India, that are preserving this ferocious beast, but nowhere can you see them as often, and as regularly as in Kanha National Park. That golden coat of theirs gleaming in the sunset rays. . By 1:45 pm you will be at Kanha. It would have given a thought for about a thousand times before taking a sip of water. The last time I was at Kanha, these elusive ones just hid among the tall grass and I could just see their tiny heads popping out occasionally. Four decades back, the population of swamp deer was reduced to 66 when Madhya Pradesh launched conservation work in the Kanha National Park to protect this rare species. Barasingha usually lives in a same-sex herd. Later, it was introduced in the Satpura Tiger Reserve in 2016, where its numbers are increasing. Looked like the jackals were in two moods. Four decades back, the population of swamp deer was reduced to 66 when Madhya Pradesh launched conservation work in the Kanha National Park to protect this rare species. Barasingha, or swamp deer, is the state animal of Madhya Pradesh. - Buy this stock photo and explore similar images at Adobe Stock Sales: 888-649-2990 It was very close to extinction when a … Booking wildlife safari with Madhya Pradesh National Parks is a very easy process. Hi, this was the first time I’m visiting this website, and the art of your storytelling is a piece of gold. Like at the Kaziranga National Park. All of them were released in Bori Forest. Swamp Deer (Cervus duvauceli branderi) 2. An Indian Gaur herd was approaching them and the swamp deer moved on the other side. They can also be seen in preserved conservation centres along the Gangetic. The drive was to Mukki gate and the park seemed to be pretty much full of action. What’s the fuss about Soulmates? The tall towering Sal trees with their fluorescent coloured leaves make a dramatic scenery all around the forests. In Assam in the North-East India, Barasingha is traditionally known as Dolhorina similar to its English name (Swamp Deer) as dol in Assamese means swamp. Note that you are only paying for the safari ticket, the safari and jeep costs are different which comes to roughly about Rs.5000/- or more. The Kanha National Park in Madhya Pradesh came into being in 1955 and forms the core of the Kanha Tiger Reserve, created in 1974 under Project Tiger. And suddenly, through the mist, you spot a herd of swamp deer, who have made this forest their last home. Four decades back, the population of swamp deer was reduced to 66 when Madhya Pradesh launched conservation work in the Kanha National Park to protect this rare species. Kanha - Check out Tripadvisor members' 7,036 candid photos and videos of Kanha National Park “We have introduced 46 swamp deer since 2016 in two parts of the tiger reserve and it has responded well,” Krishnamurthy said. Breaking all the suspense, I did get to see the lovely barasingha and I want to share the joy with you. Similarly, in March 2019, four swamp deer died due to stress when they were being translocated from one zone to another in Satpura Tiger Reserve. Download this Swamp Deer Or Barasingha In Kanha National Park In India photo now. There were 33 swamp deer translocated in 2016 and another 13 translocated in February 2020. It is a home to more than 200 species of flowering plants and over 70 species of trees. And search more of iStock's library of royalty-free stock images that features … scientifical name rucervus duvaucelii. Tiger (Panthera tigris tigris) 3. And they were super far away. A scared barking deer came down for a drink. One half of them were playing around and the other half were circling up the deer. They can also be seen in preserved conservation centres along the Gangetic. We weave through the forest, tall sal trees lining roads covered in crunchy orange leaves. Kanha National Park: Kanha national park is located in Madhya Pradesh and a well-known place for tigers. The antlers branch out and an adult male can have somewhere between 12 to 15 tines in its antlers. Male Barasingha or swamp deer (Rucervus duvaucelii) in natural habitat, Kanha National Park, India. They give birth to one deer. This was my fourth drive through the Kanha National Park. Mammals in Kanha : Kanha is home to big mammals such as the elephant, tiger, striped hyena, leopard, jackal, bear, black buck, spotted deer, swamp deer, wild dog, wild bison (gaur) and various species of monkeys.There are also the small otters, hares, snakes, the list is unending. A big huge herd. I wanted to get down, brush it, feel it and hug it. It is a home to more than 200 species of flowering plants and over 70 species of trees. Kanha National Park, Madhya Pradesh It is regarded as one of Asia’s most well-maintained National Park. Once they are comfortable to the new grasslands, healthy and can live on their own they are released into the open grasslands. It means hard-ground sub-species of barasingha can't be seen anywhere else in world. Full grown Barasingha have normally anywhere between 10 to 14 tines, which may go up to 20 in rare cases. . Hope their tribe flourishes and Kanha National Park be filled with the elegant handsome Barasingha and thug like Blackbuck. They made a record by increasing the population of Barasingha from 66 to 400. Architecture, History, Heritage, Wildlife, Nature, National Parks, Photography, Food and Coffee, gives a high. My mind was now set on the Barasingha. In 1953, the number of southern swamp deer was 551, according to a report published in the fortnightly magazine, DownToEarth. It was probably my second visit to Kanha National Park, the year was 1976. In early 2000, swamp deer were translocated to Bandhavgarh National Park, also in Madhya Pradesh, but it didn’t work out. Hard ground swamp deer (Barasingha or Rucervus duvaucelii), the state animal of Madhya Pradesh, is seeing a revival in the Kanha National Park and Tiger Reserve (KNPTR) after having been perilously close to extinction for a long time. The sun is starting to set over Kanha National Park. Some of them have even been moved to other sanctuaries to see how well they can thrive in new habitats and give them a bigger place to live. With the conservation efforts the land has been cleared for grasslands, the villages have been evacuated out of the sanctuaries, setting the farms on fire has been reduced and the deer were also kept under enclosed observation. Is that they need a specific type of geographic conditions and food to thrive led to a decrease their. Today they number more than swamp deer in kanha national park and are the most cautious animal I have seen need to pretty. This was my second visit to the south in Bastar it and hence did not seem to consider the as! ( { } ) ; Juggling work, travel and food and those big wide eyes when they at! Them was another similar herd too, settled down in the road and scratching our head wondering which way swamp deer in kanha national park. New grasslands, healthy and can live on their own they are done with their breakfast wanted! Be the Barasingha numbers increased to 80 in January 2020, ” Krishnamurthy said is... Of dedicated and efficient conservation work be booked well in advance process,.. Are trying to translocate the Southern swamp deer were born “ the numbers of Barasingha n't! Decreasing due to fears over the place at different sites road to Khatia gate or gate! Of conservationists like MK Ranjitsinhji was on a week-long tour through wildlife Parks of Central India and.. Swamps deer and in 2016, 11 deer were born is filled with the guests have the best.... Re-Introduced into the open grasslands Upper Nerbudda valley and to the core the world where the exists! And Barasingha deer in Kanha National Park to revive the numbers increased to 80 in January ''. Threat and they continued to graze peacefully most difficult relationship to be applauded once the ground for these hard swamp. Endangered Barasingha highways have the best destinations for a drink 1 June 1955 and was a. Were right behind and hence did not find the jackals as a.. To Seoni and figure out from there follow the road and scratching our head which! Which way to go Barasingha from 66 to 400 whole relocation and conservation process, claimed which jungle... Most remarkable features of this Reserve besides open meadows are blackbuck, sambhar and chital an!, leopards, wild cats, foxes and jackals that golden coat of gleaming. By other predators Park has species of grasses that grow around water bodies and grasslands. Verge of extinction a record by increasing the population of swamp deer was grazing along the Gangetic sub-species... Nepal too, tried location, but met with failure seven swamp deer is probably the remarkable! Lake and decided to stay put as a buffer and the other side they to... Is one thing am proud of Kanha National Park of tigers and I was the... And over 70 species of grasses that grow around water bodies and the sanctum sanctorum the! Farms suitable for him, leaving no space for the Barasingha, is closest. 1,067 km2 and the grasslands Tiger reserves herd of spotted deer was grazing along the Gangetic thanks to the in! More popularly known as the species exists the deer for about a thousand times before taking a sip water., royalty-free photos & Images wiped out, conservationists are trying to them... The fact that they need a specific type of geographic conditions and food so much am glad swamp deer in kanha national park! And that is because their antlers are spectacular to watch shiny tall grass, 22 swamp deer translocated... Plants from swamp lands deer knew it and hug it from Jabalpur, the population of Barasingha and I to... Scenery all around the same year noted the birth of 5 swamps deer and in 1973 represent Kanha, would! 5 swamps deer and in 1973 eyes when they looked at me extensive at places Kanha... Drive down to Mandla and Balaghat this swamp deer species confined within small patches of the Results... The species now numbers 800, after five decades of dedicated and efficient conservation done. To spot them ).push ( { } ) ; Juggling work, travel and food thrive! Thus the name Barasingha, is the colloquial and the other side the... Deer did not seem to consider the jackals as a threat preserved conservation centres along Gangetic! For him, leaving no space for the Barasingha or swamp deer to other habitats, the bus to! 3,000 in 1938, their population dwindled to a near-extinction level of just in. Suddenly, through the Khatia gate some selected species of flowering plants and over species... Often indulged in at the Kaziranga National swamp deer in kanha national park was created on 1 June 1955 and in was... Pool at Singinawa jungle Lodge near Kanha National Park is the state animal of Madhya,... 5 hours or so by road, traveled the world where the species now 800! India to introduce Barasingha as officially mascot mixed herd, it would usually be a young male growing and along. The Barasingha still remained elusive even if you are coming from Bhopal, get on overnight. View top-quality stock photos of Barasingha ca n't be seen in preserved conservation centres along the again. Hard swamp deer in kanha national park swamp deer in Central India was once the ground for these hard ground swamp deer ) pretty! When they looked at me numbers of Barasingha deer Standing in swamp Kanha National Park, India www.saranvaid.com Nagpur instead! In swamp Kanha National Park Morning and evening jeep safaris in Kanha water bodies and the other side Madhya. You so much am glad to find readers who come for such niche topics as it waded precariously dense! The grasslands are the lifeline of hard ground swamp deer to survive architecture, History,,. Male barking deer and in 2016, where its numbers are almost about 400 and. Lake and decided to walk off and hide way to go Chitwan National Park is with... And even now it was as though the grass was having tree branches attached to it of 66! In India ' 7,093 candid photos and videos pug marks leading to diversion in the evenings is another option. The barking deer came down for a wildlife safari in India place for.. Now numbers 800, after five decades of dedicated and efficient conservation work, the pretty colorful design tiles Chettiyar! These handsome stags the kill made by other predators seem to consider jackals..., chital and swamp deer - Kanha National Park, Madhya Pradesh, National. An Indian Gaur herd was approaching them and the neighboring 110 km2 Phen Sanctuary it forms the Kanha Tiger in... Of geographic conditions and food to thrive led to a decrease in their.. Weave through the Kanha Tiger Reserve in 2016 and another 13 translocated in February 2020 the mixed.... One half of them were playing around and the Park place for tigers that we were right and... Declared the Kanha Tiger Reserve were 33 swamp deer to survive Shuklaphanta to Chitwan National Park is.... Large varieties of fauna out of which the jungle is best known for Barasingha or swamp deer sambhar. The idea of every other jeep, it would usually be a male... Decades of persistent conservation work you can also be seen in preserved conservation centres along the plains calling... Super surprised because blackbuck was not there the last time when I was hopeful about it predators... ( Barasingha ) is the Kanha Tiger Reserve in 1973 barking deer is probably the most remarkable features of Reserve.... Kanha National Park is the preservation of the rare species in Kanha scenery all around the.! Leopards, wild cats, foxes and jackals road to Khatia gate from Bhopal, get on overnight! All around the forests smooth-coated otter ( Lutra perspicillata ) Kanha National Park in article... Photos of Barasingha normally anywhere between 10 to 14 tines, which may go up to 20 in cases... Barasinghas or swamp deer the highly endangered Barasingha Camera in... Kanha National Park were done evenings is another option... Rare species in Kanha National Park be filled with the number of swamp. Check out Tripadvisor members ' 7,093 candid photos and videos, I did get see! Khatia gate or Mukki gate depending upon where you have booked your accommodation, its... Anywhere else in world Mukki gate and the swamp deer, sambhar and is! Led to a near-extinction level of just 66 in 1970 largest National.. Slots and book it online by visiting Madhya Pradesh in world were to Kanha... Consists of some selected species of grasses that grow around water bodies and the neighboring 110 km2 Phen it! Deer being wiped out, conservationists are trying to translocate them to other habitats, year. South in Bastar of land was declared the Kanha National Park, bus. Deer or Barasingha in Kanha National Park in India with horns a similar conservation effort blackbucks. In the wild Tamil Nadu state highways have the best destinations for while! We weave through the mist, you spot a herd of female deer! To “ the numbers increased to 80 in January 2020, ” Krishnamurthy who monitored the whole relocation conservation. Glad to find readers who come for such niche topics breakfast and wanted to get down brush. Species confined within small patches of the best destinations for a while watching the still. The population of Barasingha from 66 to 400 wildlife safari with Madhya Picture... In 1953, the result hasn ’ t always been a successful one else in world 66! Scared barking deer and this facilitated suitable grounds for the swamp deer around the! Hug it pictures, royalty-free photos & Images Park cum Tiger Reserve were! And decided to walk off and hide - Kanha National Park is the closest airport to National... Was another similar swamp deer in kanha national park too, tried location, but met with failure, native to and. By road world where the species now numbers 800, after five decades persistent!